Thursday 27 September 2012

VOICES: White Rabbit, Red Rabbit or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Trust Nassim (by Peter Daly)

Actor Peter Daly reflects on his performance of White Rabbit, Red Rabbit in the Irish Times:

Peter Daly
"The audience is applauding. I have to assume it is my stupidity that they are celebrating.

I am now alone on stage. I give the audience a cheesy grin. I am being cheap. I am hoping I will win them over by letting them know that I know how ridiculous this proposition is and that we all know it will never work. They laugh. Never underestimate cheapness.

I much-too-carefully place the envelope beside the two glasses of water on the single small table on stage. It is a delaying tactic. I feel that until I read the first line on the first page that I won't have really started. And if I haven't started, I haven't yet begun to fail.

I look at the audience again and raise an eyebrow as if to say, here we go. Again, they give a small laugh. It relaxes me. It suggests that there is a chance that they want this to work as much as I do."

Read the full piece here.

No comments:

Post a Comment